Friday, December 31, 2010

Year in (Book) Review: 2010

While it's true I've slacked off completely with reading for the past couple of months -- in fact, I replaced all creative activity with things like curtain shopping and chair assembly -- I have so enjoyed this little project and the life it took on.
Actually, YIBR started as a New Year's resolution last year; I had a horrible habit of reading books I loved and then completely forgetting about them when someone asked me for a recommendation. So I promised myself I would document everything I read for one year... little did I know how much fun it would be. It was a bit of a labor of love at times, when I just wanted to read whatever was next and I couldn't, because the rule was no moving on to the next book before the current one was reviewed and posted. It was also, surprisingly, a team effort.
But mostly, it was a fantastic conversation starter, a charming little insight into my friends, and a way to spread the literary love.
Not everyone agreed with my reviews, and that was awesome.
Everyone had an opinion on one book or another, and that was doubly awesome.
By the second half of the year, nearly everything I read came from one of your recommendations, and you guys were reading things based on what other readers had to say.
I love books.
I love imagination.
I love the possibility.
And I'm excited to see what will get read next year -- thanks, my fellow bookworms, for being nerdy with me. Here's our recap:

Loving Frank, by Nancy Horan
The Man of My Dreams, Curtis Sittenfeld
The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold
The Shack, William P. Young
The Associate, John Grisham
The Lost City of Z, David Grann
Committed, Elizabeth Gilbert
This Is Where I Leave You, Jonathan Tropper
The Fig Eater, Jody Shields
Bridget Jones's Diary, Helen Fielding
A Reliable Wife, Robert Goolrick
Dear John, Nicholas Sparks
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson
The Heretic's Daughter, Kathleen Kent
The Kindness of Strangers, Katrina Kittle
How Did You Get This Number, Sloane Crosley
The Girl Who Played With Fire, Stieg Larsson
Olive Kitteridge, Elizabeth Strout
The Book of Joe, Jonathan Tropper
On Writing, Stephen King
The Castaways, Elin Hilderbrand
When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time To Go Home, Erma Bombeck
In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
The Imperfectionists, Tom Rachman
Water For Elephants, Sara Gruen

No comments: