Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Year in (Book) Review: The Castaways

Sometimes, it's been noted, I make strange choices. Like reading a devastating, poignant book about child abuse while relaxing on holiday. This time, though, I think I hit the nail on the vacation-appropriate head.

Elin Hilderbrand's The Castaways is easy to read, enjoyable, and just the right kind of fluffy for when you need to zone in and out every few pages. As do all her books, it takes place on the island of Nantucket, so already it's hard to imagine how it could be anything less than fun. Unlike all her books, it starts off with dead people. So, while she's frothy beach reading, she also packs a little punch.

My only criticism would be that there are a few too many people to mentally juggle, particularly when you're lying on sand. The Castaways is a group of friends -- eight, to be exact; four couples -- and their children. That's a lot of main characters to keep track of, and I spent more time than I would have liked trying to remember who belonged with whom.

Two thumbs up if you're looking for a good travel book, something that will keep you engaged and interested and then leave you alone.

No comments: