Monday, February 8, 2010

Year in (Book) Review: The Associate

1. Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
2. The Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld
3. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
4. The Shack by William Paul Young

Yeah, I read it. So? So I am a literary snob who lists F. Scott Fitzgerald as her favorite author and plans to name her daughter Harper someday. So I read a John Grisham book. Correction: I read another John Grisham book. It went something like this: I finished The Shack while sitting at the Virginia Beach Airport. I needed something quick and brain-cleansing to read, something I could be nearly entirely confident had nothing to do with small children being violently ripped away from their families. I happen to find comfort from time to time in formulaic, completely plot-driven stories that are at least grammatically correct if not Pulitzer worthy.

In lieu of an actual review, please see every other John Grisham review ever written, about every other John Grisham book ever written, as this one does not stray in the least from any of the twenty plus law/crime dramas that precede it. And that's just the way I wanted it.

No comments: