Thursday, November 20, 2008

Brain Dump

I'm having one of those stretches where my brain actually hurts. It's going in about a hundred and twelve different directions, so there is little to no chance that any of this post will come across coherently. But I need to dump some of it out to make room. You know what I need? I need a pensieve. Like Dumbledore in Harry Potter. Just a magic wand to stick to my head (no comments...) to drain out all the stuff I don't really need. Seriously, I am simply not cut out for all this thinking. And the shitty thing is that it's never important stuff -- I'm up at night thinking about things that I either don't have any control over, or don't actually NEED any control over. Like work, for example. Work is insane (actually what's insane is that I have "work" to complain about -- since when did I end up with a grown-up job? Dammit.). Why am I up at night worrying about work? I am not anything life-saving, like a brain doctor, or anything super cool, like an astronaut. I am an editor. And an odd job girl, no matter what my boss says. If I could do nothing but write and write and write all day long I would be so thrilled. The things currently occupying my brain, in no particular order:
*puppycam. Have you guys seen this?? These people in San Francisco set up a webcam in the area where they're keeping six 5-week-old Shiba Inu puppies. It is ridiculously wonderful to watch, and frightening how little I'm accomplishing during the day. Check them out. At your own risk.
*my tooth. I ATE my tooth last week. Bit into a Kashi bar on Saturday morning, and half my tooth broke off. I narrowly avoided a root canal, but now I've got a temporary crown in my mouth till after the holiday and it hurts and it's ugly and I hate it because it makes me feel old. This is the kind of event where it would be really great to be able to call my boyfriend, have him drive 10 hours to see me, take me to the dentist, make me food, and just generally love and baby me for a few days.
*my lack of a boyfriend to do any of the above mentioned care-taking. I know I'm supposed to be embracing my singleness and living some fabulous Carrie Bradshaw-esque life right now, and I'm trying. I'm going out (sometimes). I'm being social (sort of). Being available (okay, that's an outright lie). The problem is, I hate dating. I'm kind of stand-offish so I hate random losers coming up and trying to talk to me in the bar. I want to skip those steps and go straight to boyfriend. I even already know the one I want, and he's being a douchebag.
*work. Yep, still not for me.
*the ridiculously gorgeous, obscenely expensive Rebecca Minkoff handbag I just treated myself to. Do I deserve a treat? Not particularly. Can afford a treat? Not even close. And yet, here it is, looking up at me in all its buttery, leathery, perfectly constructed glory.
*how I'm going to avoid buying ANOTHER ridiculously gorgeous, obscenely expensive handbag, because the seal is broken and I can't turn it off.
And it pretty much just goes on from there, like that. Can you see how hard it is to be me sometimes?

No comments: