Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dressed for Stress

It's September first today. (Okay, technically, it's 12:33, so it's September 2nd. But I haven't gone to bed yet, which means really it's the same day as before. Right? Anyway, as I was saying...)

And you know what that means. It's just about time for The Panic to set in. Fall is in the air and soon, everything changes. You can't stop it; you can't control it.

Wait, before I go any further I should probably just clarify that we’re all on the same page. I’m sure it’s obvious, but let’s confirm we’re talking about the same anxiety.

I’m talking about that late-in-the-season predicament where you suddenly remember every single cute summer outfit you haven’t worn once yet, and subsequently scramble to figure out how many times a day you’ll have to change wardrobes between now and the imminent post-labor-day (no white), rainy (no flip flops or open-toed sandals), chill-in-the-air (no tank tops, sundresses, or breezy linens) onset of autumn, if you want to cover all the adorably lightweight, brightly colored pieces you've neglected for your one over-worn beach coverup and a ratty pair of old cut off Levi's.

Not that I don't love fall. Clothingwise. I love soft cardigans over long sleeve tissue tees and I LOVE my jeans, and who doesn't look like the epitome of cozy chic in a great pair of boots?

But all that merino and cashmere aside, I am not a winter person. I am not a cold weather person of any kind. And so, while the charm of September is undeniable, aided by kickoffs and halftimes and Script Ohios, it really just means winter is right around the corner.

I'm not ready for winter. At all. I have a Boy Meets Girl tee and a fantastically green cotton dress and a pair of J. Crew peeptoes that have hardly cracked the surface of my closet.

I am simply not ready.

What? Well what did you think I was panicked about?

No comments: