Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Furlough: Day One

Day One of Indefinite Furlough is well underway.
Didn't sleep in, not laying in the sun, no shopping on the agenda, and afraid to eat breakfast because what if I can't afford to eat anymore - basically it's just like a forced vacation, only without any of the fun parts and with ill-placed panic attacks.
So here's what I'm doing with day one: I'm making a good old fashioned Honey Do list. (Sometimes I call myself honey, because it makes me feel better. And sometimes because I'm sort of condescending to myself.)
And here's where you come in: I need some major accountability or I never get anything done. So you keep reading, and you keep calling me out on my shit, and together we're going to make this the most productive, most exciting furlough ever of all time.
Stuff for Jessica To Do:
Write something every day. (Give yourself a break if it's not brilliant, or funny, or awe-inspiring. If you want to be a writer, you have to write.)
Do something active every day.
Pray. A lot.
Network. Ask people how they got their jobs, particularly those of whom are doing something you might like to do.
Don't spend money you don't have to, but don't beat yourself up for buying stuff you need.
Don't beat yourself up, in general.
Enjoy yourself, every second that you can.
Well that's lofty and vague enough for now, right?

No comments: