Sunday, April 3, 2011

The United States of Tara

I'm up early today. I'm never up early.
And it's Sunday. I'm certainly never up early on Sundays.
It took me a few minutes to realize why I was distracted this morning. I let my mind wander -- over the things I need to get done, about what I should wear to church, whether or not it's ever, ever going to get warm again. I looked at the sunshine which (and you'll never catch me admitting this out loud) is always most special in the mornings.

And I smiled at my life.

A week ago, I celebrated one year back in Ohio, after almost a decade in New York. I'm still not sure why I chose that particular date, that particular time to realize it was time to come home.

And I thought, again, about one year back. Tara. Ahh, so that's what's on my mind.

One year ago today, my circle of friends lost one of our own. We found each other and reached out to each other and pulled in to comfort one another. We came together over Facebook and phone calls and a funeral. We reunited for the worst of reasons.

But... we reunited.

I'm a firm believer in silver linings. And my life, my tiny, inconsequential little life, looks a lot different than it did a year ago. I'm in a new city. I have a new job. I have a beautiful apartment all to myself and a group of funny, enjoyable friends. I have a dog curled up next to me who belongs to a pretty amazing guy.

Tara, you little magic maker. I know you've got your hands full up there, keeping track of everyone down here you loved, and who worshiped you in return. Hell, that crazy, wonderful, every-bit-as-spunky-as-you-ever-were sister must keep you on your angel toes 26 hours a day. It's bittersweet that Kristen is there with you. Who could have even thought it possible. But in some small way, my life looks different today because of you. Because of the people I'm lucky enough to know, who were lucky enough to know you. 

I really think Tara brought a lot of people together this past year, her first in Heaven. And I think she really would have loved that.


 Tara Lynne Scare, 10/23/74 - 04/03/10

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well stated, Sweetheart!! My sentiments, exactly. I had similar reflections on you and Tara last week, when I realized that it was one year since we cancelled our trip to Texas to hustle up and say goodbye to Tara.

Unknown said...

Beautiful photo. <3