Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda


If you're anything like me -- well, first of all, God love/help you -- but if you're anything like me you spend a lot of time bossing yourself around.
It's the "shoulds" that get me.
I just got back from a whirlwind trip to New York (lovely), following a few weeks of puppy-sitting (cuddly), which meant spending more time at her house than my own. So I've not been home much for what feels like a very long time.
I walked in my front door and before I got up the stairs, I'd thought to myself, "I should go to the grocery." "It's so nice out; I should go for a run." "I should do a load of laundry before it gets too late."
The grocery. Exercise. Laundry. Mmm, sounds like a party.
Oh, and while I'm at it, I should lose 15 pounds, get to work earlier, go to yoga three times a week and the gym twelve, volunteer, call my mother, learn French and Italian and conversational German, and then lose another 5.
How come I never say to myself, "I should sit on the couch and watch TV?" "I should crack a beer and put my feet up?" "I should get off my own damn back for a couple of minutes and relax and enjoy a little bit of life?"
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm hardly a slave-driver. I relax, a lot. Seriously, a lot. But it seems like, generally, we're so mean to ourselves. So hard on ourselves. I'm the worst offender -- if I ever heard any of my friends speak to themselves in the same tone of voice as my perpetual inner dialog, I would wag my finger and shame them for being ridiculous and unrealistic with their demands and their harshness.
So before my self-indulgence wears off and the self-inflicted to-do list reinstates itself, I'm going to raid the fridge -- which currently holds two beers and a string cheese -- open the door so some of this springness comes inside to greet me, and read a book while Mario Lopez fills me in on the important comings and goings of Hollywoodland.
I encourage you to do the same, instead of the laundry.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

why, thank you, I will!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica!
First of all, thanks a lot! After reading your article, I encouraged myself to eat 3 more chocolate covered animal cookies! As I hovered and indulged, I also read your two articles about Tara. They made me want to laugh and cry. Your recollection in SO vivid, I felt like I was right beside you ( I guess most of the time, I probably was!) Thank you for taking the time to write and express what so many of use were/are feeling. What a great gift you have! Anyway...really enjoyed reading your blogs (and the cookies). I'm glad to hear that you're happy and doing well. Hope to see you in May!
Dare I say...LITB??? Hope to see you soon...you know what I mean :)
Hallie

Katrina said...

You rock. All too true! You inspired me this evening to spend my hour before bed sipping wine and trolling for news about Robert Downey Jr. on line. I feel great. :-)

Rick Flynn said...

I seriously adore you! Now get off your own back and don't beat up my friend, Jessica like that.