Monday, February 15, 2010

Love and Other Such Nonsense

It's 11:40 on Valentine's Day night, and I have nothing interesting to say but still feel like talking. I haven't always been super keen on this day, but to be perfectly honest, while I might talk a big game it doesn't really bother me all that much. Really. Sure it makes me pensive sometimes, but I'm usually pensive. And while it just might make me a little more sarcastic, a little more caustic, a little more... snarky than usual, it would hardly be noticeable to the average eye, which sees that I'm always some varying degree of those things.
So, my observances on today, as it's almost over. In no particular order:

**When you're single on Valentine's Day, you get a lot more love. I got a card from my mom and texts from my friends. And a wink from the guy at the bar downstairs who's always outside smoking when I went down to take out the trash. Last year my gay boyfriend and his actual gay boyfriend took me to dinner and to see Naked Boys Singing, and I can't imagine that Prince Charming himself could top it. I still have the Justin Timberlake card they gave me and the stuffed monkey souvenir, and the pride of being one of very few people in the world who can say that sentence and have it be true.

**I tried to be bitter and single and watch Down with Love, but it turned out to be so horribly, unbearably unwatchable that I watched Mr. & Mrs. Smith instead, which is surprisingly romantic, and wondered 1) if Jen's ever watched the movie, just out of curiosity and that all-too-female tendency to self-destruct, and 2) how skinny Angelina must really be, because I have the same pair of Hunter boots that she wears in the movie, only I can barely fit them over my fat calves and she's got room for her twiggy legs AND a gun.

**At some point, on any day really but probably especially this day, you will question your lot in life. Then, if you're smart and selfish like me, you'll wash down Target brand spanikopita with a whole bottle of surprisingly nice champagne and think, "if someone else was here I would have to share. I am lucky."

**I am lucky. In love, and other places. Night now, loves.

No comments: