Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Prayers for a hurricane. From a tornado.

I eavesdropped on Maxy’s morning prayers. I don’t think he’ll mind if I share. I’m paraphrasing, but it went mostly like this:



Dear Sweet Baby Jesus,
Thank you for letting mommy cuss at something other than me for once this morning (she hates the snow).
Thank you for helping her not be afraid of being a spinster and listening to all the haters who told her she would die alone if she got two kittens at her age.
Thank you for letting me and my brother be hers. We try very hard to make up for the spinster thing by giving her lots of love even when she doesn’t have any makeup on and she looks old as dirt.
Thank you Lord for letting us be indoor kitties. Mommy has people she loves in Virginia, Maryland, DC, New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut. She’s worried about them. I’m worried about all the babies there who don’t have someone to feed them and pet them and furminate them and so they have to sleep outside and try to stay warm and dry in this scary storm. Please Baby Jesus keep all the baby animals safe and send angels to love and look after every cat and dog and rat and ferret and bunny and sheep and goat and monkey and
(mommy: “he gets it, max. all the animals.”)
Not all the animals. Not the squirrels. I hate those assholes. Thank you Lord for taking care of the animals and giving me lots of toys and please Lord don’t let Oliver take my baby bunny toy anymore because it’s my favorite thing in the whole entire universe and he slobbers on it and then it stinks and I have to bite him and
(mommy: “just say ‘thank you,’ max.”)
Thank you Max.
Thank you dear sweet baby Jesus.

ps and thank you thank you thank you for q-tips my really very favorite thing in the whole entire universe.


Stay safe, my East Coast loves.

No comments: