Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Reflect.

Eleven years ago today, New York became my home.

I’d already lived there for nearly six months.

I’d learned the subway (sort of), and the concept of cross-streets (a little bit). I could get from home to work to happy hour and back again. I tried really, really, really (way too) hard to just fit in.

I made a routine, a PATH, a familiar walk.

And then that day, this day, a beautiful sunny Tuesday, I ran and cried and hid and clung to my friends and pressed redial and crossed a bridge and walked to Brooklyn and somehow found my way home.

Home.

All our stories are different, but they’re all exactly the same.

Yes, eleven years ago today, I became a New Yorker.

But didn’t we all?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so beautiful, it brings me to tears. Mom